What To Look For In A Pro Bono Program
The Statewide Arizona Volunteer Program directors of Community Legal Services, DNA-Peoples' Legal Services, and Southern Arizona Legal Aid, have shared seven key components of a successful volunteer lawyer program:
1. The program provides primary malpractice coverage .
2. For representation, the program provides screening of cases for legal merit.
3. Focus on services to those with limited resources (with exception for special vulnerable populations & notice to prospective volunteers if screening for financial need is not required )
4. The program offers donated litigation support services or assistance with litigation costs.
5. The program provides mentors to pro bono attorneys.
6.The program provides or refers pro bono attorneys to Free Continuing Legal Education training.
7. If an approved legal services program, the program verifies pro bono hours for CLE credit for the pro bono attorneys.
Click here to learn more about quality pro bono programs and the ABA Standards for volunteer programs.